The Independent Clinician- Book Review and Advertisement


Recently,  Jena H. Casbon, M.S. CCC-SLP, author of The Independent Clinician asked me to review her book in consideration for advertising on my blog site.  This was an exciting proposition as I am in the process of building a private caseload while working part time at my private school contract.  It only took a couple days to read and what I found was some very helpful advice written in terms that I clearly understood.  I believe this resource is essential in organizing therapeutic private practices and I wanted to share this information with those interested in starting their own business.

The book includes eight chapters and a multitude of documents to get you started with documentation and record keeping.  Here are the chapter titles:

Guide to Private Patients
Professional Liability Insurance
Documentation 101
How to Market Your Private Patient Business
Business Skills and Mindset
Money!  Set Your Hourly Rate and Track Your Income
Becoming a Health Insurance Provider
Taxes and Tax Deductions
Promote Yourself Online... For Free

I gained insight and confirmed some recently learned facts while reading each chapter.   Her guide was exactly what I was looking for to solidify the necessary documents needed when starting client case files.  I immediately took her advice on creating client folders, a tax binder, and signature line for email correspondence, and I created a lengthy "To Do" list based on her advice about marketing.

It should come as no surprise that I highly recommend the book The Independent Clinician by Jena H. Casbon, M.S. CCC-SLP, especially if you are considering starting a private practice including speech, occupational,  or physical therapy.   Here is a link for more details about purchasing this book:  
http://www.independentclinician.com/resources-and-tools1.html

You can also follow the link that I added in the top, left-hand side bar of this blog.  Good luck to those of you navigating the private trenches with me!